Hampton Knight - Freestyle Skier
Hampton's family lives just outside of Boston, MA and spends quite a bit of time in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Hampton started skiing at the age of 3 bouncing around to different mountains with his mom, dad and younger sister, Murphy Jane. When Hampton was 9 he decided that he wanted to switch from hockey in the winter and focus on skiing.
He joined the Prospect Hill Race Team based at Blue Hills in MA and competed for one season before deciding that he wanted to combine his competitive gymnastics experience with skiing and try Freestyle Skiing. Hampton has spent the last 4 years competing for Waterville Valley Black and Blue Trail Smashers (WVBBTS) in Mogul, Slopestyle and Aerial competitions enjoying success in USSA and USASA competitions.
He recently spear-headed the now annual USASA Showcase - a virtual competition that Hampton started in lieu of the 2020 USASA Nationals that were cancelled due to the pandemic. Outside of skiing, Hampton enjoys working hard on his studies, skateboarding, golf and playing goalkeeper for his club soccer team.
Hampton trains year-round on the slopes of Waterville Valley, Mt Hood and Whistler, dryland airbag at Waterville Valley and on his backyard rail setup up. He has aspirations of taking his skiing to the highest levels.
10 Questions and answers from Hampton:
- Favorite Music? Changes every once in a while.
- Favorite place in the world? Waterville Valley.
- Favorite food? Probably spaghetti.
- Favorite color? Grey.
- A guilty pleasure of yours? Watching a lot of ski movies.
- A mentor or someone you look up to inside of skiing? Alex hall, Hunter and Grace Henderson, and Tom Wallisch.
- A mentor or someone you look up to outside of skiing? My parents, who got me into skiing.
- Favorite ski trick? 270 on to switch, or a misty 540.
- Favorite activity outside of skiing? Soccer and skateboarding.
- What music do you listen to while skiing? I like listening to the Beatles while skiing.